Question:
Does HDMI Cable length affect quality?
Julie H
2010-11-17 23:33:45 UTC
I bought a 3metre Gold plated HDMI cable and I really need to know if it affects the picture/audio quality at all? And if it does, at what length it does signal degration occur at? Eg. 1.5m, 2m etc.
Thanks heaps! And please no false information, thanks!
Five answers:
R T
2010-11-18 05:57:55 UTC
After a few hundred feet of cable the length comes into play . . . .

The gold plated connectors are good in coastal regions where salt in the air causes corrosion. In inland regions, it's not so much of a big deal.

HDMI is a digital signal; it's all ones and zeros. If the data is getting through, the TV will assemble a perfect picture every time. If they don't get through, then it doesn't work. It will either work or it won't and you will not be able to see a difference in the picture.

Think of it this way, if you write a cheque with a Mont Blanc pen, will it be worth more than if you write it with a Bic pen? Of course not! The price of the pen does not change the numbers! The price of a HDMI cable doesn't change the data either!
2016-04-24 05:54:23 UTC
Actually a test showed that it does, but only if the cables are very long. I think they said most cables are fine under 60 feet, but some started to show weekness above this length. Some were good to over 100 feet. If you want longer distances you can add a booster.
2010-11-17 23:36:18 UTC
Current decreases with length (since the wire has some resistance), but the resistance is so small that you would need hundreds of meters of cable for any noticeable difference. You will be fine with any length cable.
Viet P
2010-11-18 00:00:51 UTC
Gold plated HDMI cable is durable, so I think it's unlikely to wear out in the long term.
minigo
2010-11-17 23:36:10 UTC
Nope not at those sort of lenghts. only if you go over 10m+ ;)